[Ecls-list] Better handling of printing errors

Peter Enerccio enerccio at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 03:13:09 UTC 2013

Thanks, I will take look.
As for condition types, well, mostly its si::standard-error, so nothing
much to go with.

And as far as I know, I have no idea what level of compilation is there. If
I compile file, I have debug 2, but I usually only evaluate (while I
develop), with only (load "file")
and then inline evaluation C-x C-e in emacs.

2013/1/19 Matthew Mondor <mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net>

> On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 02:09:58 +0100
> Peter Enerccio <enerccio at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Right now, I there is a problem with lisp, the resulting condition is not
> > very
> > helpful, unless I go into backtrace. In some environments, however, I
> can't
> > do such a thing, so I am left with (if printed readably):
> >
> > *Odd number of keys
> >
> > *
> > Now when I write it's usually new code which is wrong so I find these
> > quite easily, but I mean generally, this is not much helpful.
> > *
> > *
> > that is all I get. Is there a better way to print conditions, maybe
> > include some localization for the error or something?
>
> Was the code compiled using a debug level of 2 or more?  If I remember
> those are necessary for CL-friendly backtraces, and at this debug level
> explicit stack frames are inserted to allow that.
>
> Also, I'm not sure if it can help, but at
>
> http://cvs.pulsar-zone.net/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/mmondor/mmsoftware/cl/server/ecl-mp-server.lisp?rev=1.44;content-type=text%2Fplain
> the functions LOG-ERROR (and STACKTRACE), as well as the
> WITH-LOG-ERRORS macro were useful for me in cases where I wanted errors
> to be logged non-interactively with some backtrace (i.e. in
> httpd.lisp's worker threads).
>
> I remember that some work was done a while ago for ECL to at least also
> show the condition type when printing condition objects, perhaps that
> this doesn't occur in all cases though...
> --
> Matt

Bc. Peter Vaňušanik
http://www.bishojo.tk