[Ecls-list] Special variables and threads

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 21:40:49 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM, Matthew Mondor <mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net>wrote:

> If you however want to create them from a thread using
> defparameter/defvar, I'd have to check but my guess is that ECL uses
> the necessary locks internally for its own package/symbol management.
> My experience is with special variables to be created before the other
> threads are launched.

One thing that can be easily implemented, but which is currently
deactivated, would be to copy all the special variable bindings from the
parent thread, so that one may do

(let ((variable value))
  (declare (special variable))
  ... launch process ...)

and the process starts with an outer binding of VARIABLE. I never
implemented it because I am not sure what people are used to in the Lisp
world.