[Ecls-list] ASDF support for deferred warnings in ECL?

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 19:17:52 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll
<juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> For that, I want to properly handle forward reference warnings from
>> files that are *not* being (re)compiled in the current session but
>> have been in a previous one. And so on supported implementations
>> (currently CCL, SBCL), I am saving the deferred warnings about such
>> forward references. Could you help me do that with ECL?
>

> Perhaps I am a bit confused. I never really understood the purpose of
> WITH-COMPILATION-UNIT http://clhs.lisp.se/Body/m_w_comp.htm The text says
>
> "actions deferred by the compiler until the end of compilation will be
> deferred until the end of the outermost call to with-compilation-unit."
>

> But since ECL really does not defer any action, but rather shows warnings as
> it goes, I never saw how to make it really useful.
>
> In particular I do not understand what it means "properly handle forward
> reference warnings". Is this about missing variables, functions and macros?
> So you want to save all warnings from a compiled file so that it can be
> output together with all the warnings of all newly compiled files at the end
> of a system?
>
> That kind of means that you are going to tweak WITH-COMPILATION-UNIT, but I
> do not see what would you do with the warnings in ECL because, as I said,
> they are not collected for later use, they are just output as the compiler
> proceeds.

Do you detect forward references in any way and signal a condition in
such cases?
If not, then there's nothing more I need to do.
If you do, I could catch them and do the deferring.

On SBCL, CCL, and more, when a forward reference is detected, it is
assumed to be a function. If defined later as a function, the warning
is dropped. If redefined later as a macro, that's a warning. If still
not defined by the end of the compilation-unit, that's a
style-warning.

Every country has an army, either its own or a foreign one.