[Ecls-list] slime/swank problem

Daniel Herring dherring at tentpost.com
Wed Dec 18 04:48:36 UTC 2013

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013, Stas Boukarev wrote:
> Daniel Herring <dherring at tentpost.com> writes:
>> I'm having trouble with tab completion in current Slime and ECL (237af2).
> That's because of http://sourceforge.net/p/ecls/bugs/275/

Hi Stas,

For reference, here's a copy of the offending Swank function, minus
comments.

(defun parse-package (string)
   (ignore-errors
     (find-package (let ((*package* *swank-io-package*))
                     (read-from-string string)))))

So are you suggesting that ECL is using knowledge that read-from-string
returns (values object position) and messing up while compiling?

I wouldn't have guessed that for a good while.

Somehow, re-evaluating this defun after swank has loaded was
sufficient to clear the problem.  This probably works because it
activates the interpreter instead of the compiler...

Anyway, this Slime bug appears in ECL commit c0b235, dated 2013-10-10.

Checking out head (237af2) and a previous version of
src/cmp/cmptype-arith.lsp appears to fix the problem.

# git checkout e7daee08e8cb7d4b4cea4bc27ce9c7839e236938 --
src/cmp/cmptype-arith.lsp

Later,
Daniel