[Ecls-list] slime/swank problem

Daniel Herring dherring at tentpost.com
Tue Dec 17 04:55:02 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I'm having trouble with tab completion in current Slime and ECL (237af2).

I've traced the root cause to Slime's swank.lisp.  In particular, it
appears that the "defvar *swank-io-package*" isn't taking effect before
the body of "parse-package" is compiled.

This shows up in *inferior-lisp* as
;;; Style warning:
;;;   in file swank.lisp, position 62852
;;;   at (DEFUN PARSE-PACKAGE ...)
;;;   ! The argument 1 of function FIND-PACKAGE has type
;;; ARRAY-INDEX
;;; instead of expected
;;; PACKAGE-DESIGNATOR

This causes (swank::guess-package "cl") to return NIL instead of the
COMMON-LISP package.  Re-evaluating the definition for parse-package is
sufficient to clear the problem and restore proper tab completion.

CVS logs for slime show that the relevant sections of swank.lisp have been
unchanged for a few years.  This code still works fine for SBCL on my
system.  Thus I believe the problem is in ECL or my install of it.

While I plan on bisecting the problem, I was hoping others could confirm
or deny seeing the same problem.  If you use ECL under Slime, what do
(swank::guess-package "cl") and (swank-loader::ecl-version-string) return
for you?

Thanks,
Daniel