[Ecls-list] ERROR caused by FPU control settings...

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 14:47:41 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 5:07 AM, Dietrich Bollmann
<dietrich at formgames.org>wrote:

> Yes, I am:  ECL relies on the underlying operating system > The operating
> system is Windows > And here is the problem :)

ECL needs to touch the FPU because Common Lisp mandates that arithmetic
errors give rise to exceptions (which are then turned into Common Lisp
conditions). However, ECL contains a flag to build without touching the FPU
but rather checking the outcome of the computation and the FPU flags (See
src/c/number.d and the headers it includes)

Note that not using the FPU is fragile: to be conformant, in the compiled
code we would have to add such checks _everywhere_, but we currently avoid
that by setting the exception flags in the FPU.

Best,