[Ecls-list] Porting CL to new platforms: what can be reused?

Sylvain Ageneau ageneau at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 14:21:41 UTC 2013

Hello,

If your goal is to have a lisp implementation running in your browser,
there's another approach which I think is interesting: Google developed
this technology for Chrome/Chromium called "Native client" (
https://code.google.com/p/nativeclient/) which allows running native code
in Chrome in a sandboxed environment.

You can check my experiments with it here:
https://github.com/ageneau/ecl-android. It includes a sample ECL REPL web
application based on "hterm". Compiling ECL for this toolchain requires
very little changes to ECL itself.

Unfortunately it looks like other browsers won't pick up the technology so
this is limited to Chrome/Chromium.

Current limitations:
* Single threaded -> This is because NaCL doesn't have sigprocmask
* File system access not implemented
* GMP/MPIR uses the fallback C implementation so is probably not very
performant

Regards,
Sylvain