[Ecls-list] Building ECL fails: Debugger received error of type: UNBOUND-VARIABLE, The variable *MODULE-SYMBOLS* is unbound.

Dietrich Bollmann dietrich at formgames.org
Fri Apr 12 16:08:05 UTC 2013

Hi,

I would like to compile ECL on Windows 7 running on my MacBookPro using the
Visual Studio Command Prompt (2010) but no ecl.exe is built.

The source code is from the git repository.

Just before giving up, the following error message is printed:

> Debugger received error of type: UNBOUND-VARIABLE
The variable *MODULE-SYMBOLS* is unbound.

Some more context of the output produced by nmake is appended to this email.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks, Dietrich

... snip ...
;;; Copying ../src/../contrib/encodings/ISO-2022-JP-1 to
build:encodings;ISO-202
2-JP-1#P"c:/Users/dietrich/home/cs/dev/lisp/ecl/src/git/ecl/contrib/encodings/ge
nerate.lisp"
> NIL
> #<two-way stream 054ab6e0>
0
#S(EXT:EXTERNAL-PROCESS :EXT::PID NIL :EXT::INPUT #<output stream "\"rc\"
\"/r\"
 \"ecl.rc\""> ...)
> ((#P"SYS:**;*.*.*"
#P"c:/Users/dietrich/home/cs/dev/lisp/ecl/src/git/ecl/msvc/
**/*.*"))
> Debugger received error of type: UNBOUND-VARIABLE
The variable *MODULE-SYMBOLS* is unbound.
Error flushed.
> Debugger received error of type: UNBOUND-VARIABLE
The variable *MODULE-FILES* is unbound.
Error flushed.
>       c\cut "~A" "%CD%/package" "~*" ""  "@ECL_CFLAGS@" "/EHsc /DGC_DLL
/DGC_B
UILD /nologo /D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE /DNDEBUG /MD /O2 "  "@LDFLAGS@"
"/link /
incremental:no /nologo /nodefaultlib:libcmt /nodefaultlib:libcmtd
/nodefaultlib:
libc /nodefaultlib:libcd /nodefaultlib:msvcrtd.lib"  "@CLIBS@" ""  "@libdir@"
"%
CD%/package"  "@includedir@" "%CD%/package/ecl"  < util\ecl-config.bat >
ecl-con
fig.bat
        c\cut "@ECL_CFLAGS@" "/EHsc /DGC_DLL /DGC_BUILD /nologo
/D_CRT_SECURE_NO
_DEPRECATE /DNDEBUG /MD /O2 "  "@LDFLAGS@" "/link /incremental:no /nologo
/nodef
aultlib:libcmt /nodefaultlib:libcmtd /nodefaultlib:libc /nodefaultlib:libcd
/nod
efaultlib:msvcrtd.lib"  "@CLIBS@" ""  "@libdir@" "%CD%/package"
 "@includedir@"
"%CD%/package/ecl"  < util\ecl-cc.bat > ecl-cc.bat