[Ecls-list] [asdf-devel] asdf-bundle and ECL

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 02:50:55 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll
<juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Now, do we want to distribute asdf-bundle.lisp as a separate system
>> asdf-bundle.asd?
>> Do we want to distribute it as part of asdf.asd the way we used to do
>> asdf-ecl.lisp?
>> Do we want to just add its contents to asdf.lisp, a growth of a bit over
>> 10% in size,
>> for additional functionality on many platforms and much less headaches on
>> ECL?
>
> ECL will pledge to whatever means of distribution you choose. Just keep me
> informed.

After carefully considering the headache for users of Quicklisp and ECL,
and the fact that asdf-bundle now supports load-fasl-op
for all actively maintained implementations,
except ABCL which has its own thing,
I've decided that it's probably best to fold asdf-bundle into ASDF.
(Note that I haven't tested the SCL, LispWorks or MKCL ports, and
that the LispWorks port I just threw together probably needs some love).

The only objection I can imagine is file size,
but somehow, I fear we're past the point of being able to complain.
I fully assume the creeping featuritis since ASDF 1.
wc stats are as follows:
  4534  19011 200127 asdf.lisp
   597   2138  21861 asdf-bundle.lisp
  5131  21149 221988 total
So the increase is a bit under 11% increase in character file size.

I'll give a few days for people to issue objections,
and if none is raised, I'll go ahead with the merge some time next week,
after hopefully testing on more implementations.
Hopefully, I will add some tests to the ASDF test suite.

Someone who claims a right to a good that he has not produced (or acquired by
some other voluntary means) is doing one of two things: either he is claiming
a right to have nature supply him with goods without effort, which is absurd;
or he is claiming a right to take goods from others against their will, which
is unjust.  — David Kelley