[Ecls-list] Resitricted mode - possible?

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 22:29:52 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 10:26 PM, Peter Enerccio <enerccio at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know I can redefine the builtin functions by simply redefining them, but
> is that fool proof?

Yes it is possible, and the right approach would be more useful than just
for ECL. Creation of domain specific languages is extremely simple: create
new packages where you only export the _safe_ functions. This way you can
ban whatever function leads to "unsafe" functions, according to whatever
criteria you choose (package accessors, EVAL, readers, etc). The right
approach would be to decide not which functions you want to avoid, but
which ones you want to allow. This has been discussed at length in
comp.lang.lisp in the past (it is not specific to this implementation, but
a topic of interest to the Common Lisp community at large).