[Ecls-list] Latest changes

Matthew Mondor mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net
Sun Mar 25 21:28:02 UTC 2012

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 01:07:03 -0400
Matthew Mondor <mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 01:03:19 -0400
> Matthew Mondor <mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 00:51:13 -0400
> > Matthew Mondor <mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I suspect that boehm-gc could be at fault.  I only did the tests on
> > > NetBSD so far, but also intend to try on Linux.  These tests were also
> > > using the new NetBSD-6 TLS support, I'll also try with
> > > --with-__threads=no.
> >
> > Well, the system seems quite faster using --with-__threads=no so far.
> > I'll investigate about why the TLS path seems so problematic.  I also
> > don't experience the instable speed issue.
>
> Well I guess I spoke too fast though, as the same problem with the FDs
> magically becomming invalid happened.  But yet again that could be a
> boehm-gc related issue.  With the stable release I never got that exact
> error, but a buggy GC can be a source of many random problems...

An interesting thing is that despite it not being stable when I
stress-test it using ab(8), the new locks seem more stable over a
number of days with very low traffic than the old pthread-based
implementation.

I didn't yet investigate why performance and stability decreases with
--with--__threads=yes yet.
--
Matt