[Ecls-list] standalone executable under Windows with MSVC and socket support

Antonio Bonifati antonio.bonifati at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 18:32:39 UTC 2012

Hi, I am a beginner, please excuse me if my questions is silly. I have
generated an executable of a Lisp program (just Lisp, no C source) using
asdf:make-build under Windows with the MSVC Express 2008 compiler.

I am using these commands to make my system:

> set LIB=C:\Program Files\ECL
> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\bin\vcvars32.bat"
> ecl
(require 'asdf)
(asdf:make-build :my-pkg :type :program :monolithic t)

My understanding is that :monolithic t is the default for :type program.

All works, but I have noticed that along with the .EXE file I have to
distribute ucd.dat, ecl.dll and sockets.fas (the latter because my program
uses sockets through usocket) and they have to be in the same directory,
otherwise the executable won't find them and doesn't run. Is there a way to
make a real stand-alone .EXE file? I do not mind how big it is.
Alternatively, how can I tell Lisp to load all dependency files from
another directory than the one the .exe file is found? (e.g. a subdir)

BTW where is the documentation for the socket library that comes with ECL?
I would rather use that directly rather than usocket, because the latter
seems to be unstable. My server often hangs and I get no error message!
This happens both in Linux and in Windows, but more often in Windows.

Thanks again
--
Antonio Bonifati
Student and Italian teacher