[Ecls-list] (function * t) type specifier is no longer accepted

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 7 14:26:03 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Stas Boukarev <stassats at gmail.com> wrote:

> As per CLHS,
> http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/lw50/CLHS/Body/04_bc.htm
> "*" means unspecified part of the type specifier.
>
> (declaim (ftype (function * integer) f))
>
> (defun f (a)
>  (1+ a))
>
> and then (compile-file "file.lisp")
>
> ;;; LAMBDA: Illegal lambda list *.

Actually, the behavior you expect is undefined. While * is used to design
parts of the type that are general, not specified, the situations in which
* is used are very precisely marked by the Standard. Note for instance the
difference between the grammar for the ARRAY type

http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/lw50/CLHS/Body/t_array.htm#array

and that of the FUNCTION type

http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/lw50/CLHS/Body/t_fn.htm

Only the former allows *

One could allow ECL to "support" * by ignoring all function declarations
where it appears. I presume this would help with certain libraries that use
these nonstandard types.