[Ecls-list] unicode troubles

Matthew Mondor mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net
Mon Jul 23 07:17:47 UTC 2012

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 10:23:16 +0400
Арсений Заостровных <necto.ne at gmail.com> wrote:

> But is there any way to force ecl use utf-8 instead of utf-32, and in
> simple english case be the same as ascii? May be it has some special
> functions to work exactly with specified encoding?

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but other than setting
the wanted external format for file or network streams, it's also
possible to work with in-memory data using the ECL unicode encoding and
decoding facilities, using sequence-input-stream and
sequence-output-stream...  Internally, ECL will still always store its
own strings in UBCS-4/UTF-32 if compiled with unicode support.  But you
can at your discretion also use byte vectors with ECL sequence streams,
etc.

Examples using those sequence streams can be found in the
utf-8-string-encode and utf-8-string-decode functions at
http://cvs.pulsar-zone.net/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/mmondor/mmsoftware/cl/server/character.lisp?rev=1.3;content-type=text%2Fplain
--
Matt