[Ecls-list] build error for ecl 12.7.1 under MSVC 2008, 2010

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 06:46:55 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 9:10 PM, bob <bobatnet at gmail.com> wrote:

> I dont have any experience in nmake. I have got the latest ecl from CVS
> (12.7.1) and am trying to build ecl using both VS 2010 express and VS 2008
> (x64 and x86) (Win7) but am getting this error:

As a rule of thumb, avoid CVS if possible. The main repository is the one
based on git. The one based on CVS is synced more or less automatically but
the process tends to fail quite often

> c:\lisp\ecl\ecl\msvc>nmake
> [...]
Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 9.00.21022.08
> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
>
> makefile(5) : fatal error U1023: syntax error in expression
> Stop.
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
> Studio 9.0\
> VC\BIN\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
> Stop.

No idea. I just built my copy of ECL in a Windows Server 2008 without
problems, using both Visual Studio Express 2010 and Microsoft's SDK, which
also comes with a compiler. Both have nmake and none of them caused
problems.

> Also, am trying to build ecl-docs but cant find the xmlto package under
> windows. Do you have any substitute for it or any other instructions to
> build it in windows ?

I am not an XML savvy and I am just using the tool that comes with OS X.
There might be other xsl processors around, though.

But... why don't you install cygwin? I install it even if I don't use it to
build ECL so often, just because of the tools: rsync, ssh, xmlto...