[Ecls-list] Is ECL really interpreted ?

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 19:16:33 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Pascal J. Bourguignon <
pjb at informatimago.com> wrote:

> clisp has a true interpreter, and it will macroexpand several times the
> same macro.

I think it was either Bruno Haible or Sam Steingold who explained to me
once that the trick in CLISP is not to interpret, but to recompile the
function when the macro changes. This way it is more efficient than GCL
(which uses a list traversal interpreter) but behaves like an interpreter
in that sense. In any case I never studied CLISP's source code, so I cannot
be sure whether I misunderstood the email.