[Ecls-list] Is ECL really interpreted ?

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 07:15:22 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 10:41 PM, <ecky at ecky.fr> wrote:

> I'm currently evaluating the possibility to use ECL for my
> software-project and it is important for me that the language I use is
> interpreted with optional partial compilation on demande (for optimisation
> reasons)

In ECL the cost of bytecodes compilation is so small that it is done all
the time. It also avoids certain problems and inefficiencies with certain
paradigms of lisp interpreters, such as those that do list traversals and
have to expand macros every time they find them.

Note however that ECL does not do native compilation on demand. It does not
have a JIT compiler to machine code if that is what you are looking for.