[Ecls-list] Case-sensitivity issues on Cygwin

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 19:29:05 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Dima Pasechnik <dimpase+ecl at gmail.com>wrote:

> This was mentioned last Dec on sage-devel, that on Cygwin ECL call
> > (directory "")
> sometimes can return NIL. This breaks ASDF scripts, etc.
> (this is a symptom of a bigger problem, certainly).

I am unable to reproduce your problem with (directory "") I have created an
account and even created a home directory with lowercase letters and this
does not happen. Indeed "" does not have to do with

> Here is a more detailed description of the problem, that is still
> present in ECL 11.1.1:
> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/13343

I do not support 11.1.1 any more

> In particular, the problem goes away if one turns the case-sensitivity
> on, as described on
>
> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-casesensitive
> (which is of course a measure of last resort).

Cygwin is rather broken in its behavior, having case sensitivity in some
directories and not on others. This "knowledge" is not going to be
hardcoded in ECL. Users are expected to use right now paths as if they were
case sensitive.

> PS. I cannot test with the git version of ECL, as it does not build on
> Cygwin at the moment:
> one gets:
>
> error: ‘struct ecl_codeblock’ has no member named ‘error
> namely:

Can't reproduce. I just built ECL without problems on a stock cygwin +
Windows 2008