[Ecls-list] Small warning patches

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 18:04:36 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Jerry James <loganjerry at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you "make install" after building bdwgc, the header files in
> include/private are not installed anywhere.  This means that those
> using some Linux distribution's boehm-gc package (I'm building on
> Fedora) don't have any visible prototypes for these functions.

Yes, unfortunately the BWDGC library is full of useful bits of code that
are rendered useless because in a default installation there are no headers
for them.

I believe this is due to the fact that his library has been in a "hidden"
or "proprietary" form by various components (gcc, gcc-java, bigloo, ecl,
...), embedded in the project, sometimes modifying the headers, etc. I hope
this will change in the future, because ECL needs some bits (typed memory
allocation and precise marking, etc) to perform better in multithreaded
environments.

I will review your patches and add them to the repo ASAP. Thanks again for
your contribution.