[Ecls-list] Build system on Cygwin

Jean-Pierre Flori jpflori at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 17:22:14 UTC 2012

Dear all,

Still working on building Sage on Cygwin, we realized that the
produced ECL shared library built on Cygwin is called ecl.dll.
While this should not be problematic, we also have another file called
ecl.dll in Sage which builds the interface between Sage and the former
ecl.dll, and which should be linked to the it.
Unfortunately, Cygwin gets confused with these two files having the
same name and when using the latter ecl.dll (the Sage part), it tries
to resolve symbols which should be found in the former ecl.dll
(upstream shared library) in itself (!!!).

My point here is that if ECL would follow the naming scheme proposed
by Cygwin (as libtool does for example):
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/dll.html#dll-build
this would have the fortunate consequence to make the Sage problem disappear.

I've proposed such a patch on Sage Trac in ticket #9167
(http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/9167) (it also tweaks the
build system on MinGW to follow http://www.mingw.org/wiki/sampleDLL).
If you think this makes sense, I can post a patch on ECL sourceforge page.

Best,

--
Jean-Pierre Flori