[Ecls-list] slowdown using Slime

Daniel Herring dherring at tentpost.com
Thu Apr 5 02:51:51 UTC 2012

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012, Daniel Herring wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Apr 2012, Daniel Herring wrote:
>
>> I'm running Slime on ECL, and both were updated about a week old right
>> now.  There are often noticeable pauses when typing in a source buffer.
>> I'm not sure whether this is a new behavior; I had been doing most
>> interactive development under SBCL for the past year, and my Slime was
>> almost two years old.
>>
>> One of the pauses occurs when editing a make-instance form in a source
>> buffer.  Every time I type a key in a make-instance form, there is a pause
>> and a string prints in the slime-repl buffer.  Cursor key or text doesn't
>> matter.
>>
>> SWANK-MOP:COMPUTE-APPLICABLE-METHODS-USING-CLASSES
>>
>>> From a cursory read of swank-ecl.lisp, it appears that the
>> swank-mop:c-a-m-u-c normally calls clos:c-a-m-u-c, but this has been
>> disabled in ECL.  I uninterned this symbol from swank-mop in my Slime
>> session; either that or something else I did "fixed" the problem for the
>> moment.
>
> Arg.  Minor enlightenment always comes after publication.
>
> For some reason, the "fix" was actually changing the repl out of the
> :cl-user package (where my code currently lives) and into any other
> package.  Somehow that changes Slime's behavior.
>
> If you think this looks like a Slime bug, I'll try to send them a bug
> report later this week.  Right now, I have a workaround, and there's some
> real code I want to write in my remaining time for today.

Really hope this is the last update tonight.

The repl's package matters because my source file didn't have a proper
in-package form.  Thus slime doesn't see the actual class, and the pause
doesn't occur.

So my current workaround is to put (in-package :cl) before a form
containing make-instance, edit it, then remove the in-package kludge.

- Daniel