[Ecls-list] I need a little more help

Paul Bowyer pbowyer at olynet.com
Fri Nov 25 18:14:55 UTC 2011

On 11/24/2011 11:44 PM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 12:51 AM, Paul Bowyer <pbowyer at olynet.com
> <mailto:pbowyer at olynet.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 11/23/2011 11:56 PM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
>
>         Hi Paul, have you tried adding :clx to the dependencies list
>         of your ASDF file? If that is not present, there is no way ECL
>         knows that CLX must be part of your system. An alternative is
>         to insert an explicit (require :clx) at the beginning of your
>         program, but then you will have to ship clx.fas with your program.
>
>         Juanjo
>
>         --
>         Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC
>         c/ Serrano, 113b, Madrid 28006 (Spain)
>         http://juanjose.garciaripoll.googlepages.com
>
>     Juanjo:
>
>     After adding ":depends-on (:clx)" to my ".asd" file,
>     "clx-gui-mono" no longer errors out. I tried ":depends-on (:xlib)"
>     which is also in "*features*" but it didn't like that.
>
>      However, I still haven't discovered how to invoke
>     "(clx-gui:start)" when I run "clx-gui-mono". All "clx-gui-mono"
>     does when I run it is terminate without doing anything.
>

> http://ecls.sourceforge.net/new-manual/re03.html
>
> It is there: the :epilogue-code is a keyword argument with, typically,
> a lisp statement. Even simpler: all statements in your lisp code are
> executed in sequence at startup time. Just add a (clx-gui:start) at
> the end.
>
> Juanjo
>
> --
> Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC
> c/ Serrano, 113b, Madrid 28006 (Spain)
> http://juanjose.garciaripoll.googlepages.com
Juanjo and Matt:

Thanks for the help.

Juanjo: I had previously tried placing "(clx-gui:start) at the end of my
code, but that caused an error when compiling (didn't look to hard at
why) so I removed it. I completely missed the :epilogue-code as the
possible solution when I was perusing the manual. I finally tried
"(progn(clx-gui:start) (ext:quit 0))" as :epilogue-code after you
mentioned it and that worked for me.

Matt: I appreciate your tip on "(pushnew :mm-ecl-standalone *features*)"
and I'll get around to using it later on when I gain more experience
with Common Lisp in general and ECL in particular. My programming
abilities with Common Lisp have all been self-taught and I'm still
pretty much a novice at it (in my opinion).

Again, thanks to you both for getting a novice on track.

Paul