[Ecls-list] Few lines implementation of "curl" or "wget" using Common Lisp?

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 20 20:59:55 UTC 2011

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 9:16 PM, Paul Bowyer <pbowyer at olynet.com> wrote:

> Since I already have quicklisp installed and it's accessible from slime,
> or via clbuild using a command shell, it would be redundant to have it
> (re-)installed by the ECL test suite unless it was isolated to the ecl-test
> folder.

It seems I am not able to reach you guys, so I will try to explain it more
clearly. There are two different goals:

1) Just testing ECL for ANSI compliance

2) Testing running of libraries with

The first goal is no problem: one just has to download the tests and run
them. I want to automate and make this as painless as possible. It cannot
be that in order to test whether ECL built properly the user has to
download and install SVN (I think I discussed this in the ANSI-test mailing
list without success in the past). If possible, this should be integrated
into ECL's tree, for it would take eventually no space: almost all the
tests are in the ANSI test suite. Having a library that allows downloading
files via http and creating a simple mirroring software that uploads copies
of the test suite to sourceforge would make this very easy to use and
straightforward to implement.

The second goal is *not compulsory*. Not even supportive users are expected
to do it regularly, but I may ask a user to do it when a copy of ECL
behaves strangely. In any case testing of libraries can never be done using
the user's existing environment. For a simple reason: his configuration may
affect the tests, as it has happened in the past (*). So I am not going to
force you to download quicklisp again, but I am not going to integrate
testing of quicklisp libraries using the copies you have downloaded. This
has to be done in a clean environment, with a fresh new copy of the system.

Incidentally, I am trying to migrate my whole testing environment to a
standalone library that would control both actual machines and virtual
machines, performing tasks such as starting virtual machines, monitoring
them, uploading distributions and tests, building them and retrieving and
parsing the results. This is yet another motivation to integrate the build
and the tests in a simpler way, free of dependencies.

Juanjo

(*) For instance, ASDF looks for libraries all over your computer by
default. This makes existing or forgotten copies of libraries interfere
with quicklisps. That includes users's projects and it has happened in the
past. Other customizations, such as ~/.eclrc files also interfere as they
change the build environment.