[Ecls-list] Cygwin problems -- serious ones

Matthew Mondor mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net
Tue May 31 06:28:11 UTC 2011

On Tue, 31 May 2011 08:08:37 +0200
Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:

> This is getting a bit boring
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin/126998
>
> Nobody seems to have a clue and everybody takes for granted that what ECL is
> doing (dlopen of ephemeral DLLs) is not considered high priority by cygwin.
> The solution that we are given is to assign ourselves addresses for loading
> the DLLs but that is crazy because we have no idea where to place them in
> order to avoid clashes.

Are ephemeral DLLs also needed for bytecode?  If not, perhaps that
cygwin should for now only support bytecode, even though that's of
course suboptimal...  I imagine that cygwin users expect primarily good
tools such as editors and toolchains, with mingw used for production.
At least that was my case when I used to code for win32, I'd use cygwin
for tools and its cygwin-mingw cross-compiler to generate final
executables.  That was only C though and I didn't know about ECL then.

But can other ECL cygwin users relate to the above scenario?
--
Matt