[Ecls-list] Compiling Babel with MSVC

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 25 07:16:12 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <
juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 6:06 PM, Bill Robinson <airbaggins at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Just wanted to bump that I've run into this as well and would appreciate a
>> fix if anyone out there has one.
>

> I am working on that. Unfortunately it requires changes in ECL to cope with
> this limitation in Microsoft's compiler.

Ok, I more or less have finished something that works around this problem.
The idea is that compiled data is no longer stored as a C string, but rather
appended to compiled files and loaded using mmap() or open()/read() by ECL
itself.

The only problem so far is standalone programs. Unlike in FASL files, in
this case it is _very_ hard to find out the place where compiled data
resides (the executable file), because there is no portable way to do that:

- argv[0] is not guaranteed to keep the name of the executable
- the file itself may be renamed or moved
- in some systems (embedded systems, phones, etc) there might not be any
notion of file system at all.
..

Help would be very welcome in solving this problem.