[Ecls-list] Configuration patch

Didier Verna didier at lrde.epita.fr
Sun Jan 23 19:12:12 UTC 2011

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:

> It depends :-) I got as far as being able to link ECL into Emacs long
> long time ago.

  No kidding!?

> This involved quite some heavy hacking of the program, to remove its
> garbage collector and replace it with the Boehm-Weiser one

  You mean Emacs's gc right?

> , but it was more or less a two nights job (the gc stuff), plus some
> additional work to link ECL in. The advantage of ECL is that you do
> not need to replace all of emacs with the lisp from scratch. You may
> let ECL manipulate emacs structures and then gradually replace
> components.

  Yes. Then, I think step 2 would be to implement Emacs Lisp on top of
ECL in order to preserve compatibility with existing stuff. Then we
could gradually move the core and other libs to a true CL
implementation.

> But first it would be interesting to see whether there are good elisp
> compilers that work with ECL.

  What do you mean?

--
Resistance is futile. You will be jazzimilated.

Scientific site:   http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier
Music (Jazz) site: http://www.didierverna.com