[Ecls-list] Configuration patch

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 19 09:14:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 4:52 AM, Jerry James <loganjerry at gmail.com> wrote:

> I had a little trouble getting ECL 11.1.1 to build with the options I
> wanted.
> I'm going to post a series of small patches that fix things up for me.  Is
> it
> better to send patches to the mailing list, post them on the Sourceforge
> patch
> tracker, both?

Hi Jerry, thanks a lot for your help. Patches, fixes and comments are always
welcome. It's no problem to post them to the mailing list if they are small,
but I rather prefer to have them in Sourceforge patch tracker. The reason is
simple: emails may get lost or forgotten, while the bug/patch/feature
tracker is always there to remind you what is still to be done.

But do not bother to resend these ones. I will process them ASAP (which, as
you said, might be not too soon :-)

[1] The pet project I would REALLY like to undertake is to rip Emacs Lisp
> out
>     of XEmacs by its roots and insert a Common Lisp engine, such as ecl, in
>     its place.  But my estimate for the number of man-hours that would take
>     is, regrettably, much too high to be feasible.  Sigh.

It depends :-) I got as far as being able to link ECL into Emacs long long
time ago. This involved quite some heavy hacking of the program, to remove
its garbage collector and replace it with the Boehm-Weiser one, but it was
more or less a two nights job (the gc stuff), plus some additional work to
link ECL in. The advantage of ECL is that you do not need to replace all of
emacs with the lisp from scratch. You may let ECL manipulate emacs
structures and then gradually replace components. But first it would be
interesting to see whether there are good elisp compilers that work with
ECL.