[Ecls-list] Help needed, really

Konovalov, Vadim (Vadim)** CTR ** vadim.konovalov at alcatel-lucent.com
Mon Jan 3 16:39:39 UTC 2011

> From: Samium Gromoff [mailto:_deepfire at feelingofgreen.ru]

> elsewhere, Juan-Jose Garcia Ripoll wrote:
> > * You, Gabriel, insist on the need to provide information
> to users, but give
> > no precise names nor do you explain how I should offer this
> > information.
>
> Well, he does, with a /certain/ level of concreteness -- see above --
> however, I can completely understand your desire to avoid
> performing the
> work required to turn the aforementioned not-entirely-concrete
> suggestions into a result satisfactory to the authors of the
> suggestions.
>
> It makes sense to let the interested parties do the work, then.

IMHO most point here is to not overload ECL with additional logic of massaging configuration information about different OS x CPU x versions, with backward and forward support of such information.

As a humble user of ECL, I prefer Juan's position - keep ECL out of keeping and maintaining these records, and let autoconf tools deal with OS x CPU x etc combinations.

Given that OpenAxiom has problems with ECL providing wrong information - there is a bug somewhere (I very much suspect somewhere in autoconf toolchain), and providing  workaround for this bug by bloating ECL is not a good way to fix.
If the bug in autoconf - it should be corrected.

Best regards,
Vadim.