[Ecls-list] Help needed, really

Gabriel Dos Reis gdr at integrable-solutions.net
Sun Jan 2 22:25:22 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 4:06 PM, David Brown <lisp at davidb.org> wrote:

> Then, what exactly, are you asking for?  There are an unbounded number
> of combinations that ECL can support,

"can support" is very different from "actually support".  For example, using
your criteria, there is an unbounded set of standard C conforming compilers
on which ECL cannot possibly work -- because the the ECL's C source code
contains lots of undefined behaviour.

However, we are all happy because for the limited set of platforms that
ECL *actually* runs, we can expect most C compilers to be blindsighted
and generate codes that *appear* to work -- even if the source code
is buggy.

> since it can easily support new
> platforms without even changing the source code.  What information may
> be necessary for a complex C/C++ based application to successfully link
> against it can't really be determined ahead of time.

Only because you are insisting on maligning the topic of the discussion.

-- Gaby