[Ecls-list] Help needed, really

David Brown lisp at davidb.org
Sun Jan 2 22:04:16 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 02 2011, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 3:27 PM, David Brown <lisp at davidb.org> wrote:
>
>> Most Lisp compilers take significant amounts of work to make them build
>> on a different configuration.  ECL often just works.  Asking it to try
>> and deduce a bunch of information about that configuration would make it
>> much less portable than it is.
>
> Bunch of information already contained in the "just working ECL"
> That is the part that is being consistently missed in this discussion.

  $ ./configure
  $ make
  $ make install

That's what I mean by "just works".  I can drop in various different
compiles, variants on configurations, and ECL doesn't actually care.
That's what I mean by "just works".

As I understand, you as asking ECL to provide information to the running
Lisp system about system configuration information that it doesn't even
know when building it's own code.

The only information it really knows, the cflags and ldflags use to
compile C code, are wrapped up in the 'ecl-config' shell script that
gets installed with the executable.

David