[Ecls-list] Help needed, really

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 2 16:58:17 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Gabriel Dos Reis <
gdr at integrable-solutions.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 3:21 AM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll
> <juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:

> portable.
> >>
> >> Yes, that is what I suggested in private conversion.  In fact, all it
> >> takes is
> >> just link a dummy C file against the GMP library and look at the binary
> >> flavour of the program as indicated above.  I suspect that the `file'
> >> utility will handle most cases.
> >
> > The hardest point of the conversation, and one that people do not seem to
> > get, is that I have no idea how to do this which is written in the
> paragraph
> > and in the discussion before. Really, it makes the discussion very hard
> that
> > people do not realize that I have no idea how to get binary information
> from
> > an executable, or gather the binary mode from GMP just by linking a
> custom
> > program -- to begin with, it would be utterly impossible to link against
> > this library before having guessed the appropriate linker/compiler flags!
>
> I have no idea what you mean by "linking against this library before
> having guessed the appropriate linker/compiler flags!".  I don't recall
> I ever suggest that, and I really don't understand what you mean by that.
>
> -- Gaby

The sentence "In fact, all it takes is just link a dummy C file against the
GMP library and look at the binary flavour of the program as indicated
above" implies that the dummy file has to be linked against GMP. That in
turn requires knowing what type of library it is, whether it was built with
long integers, small pointers, whatever.

This is what I meant by "guessing the compiler flags" and this is the
problem that ECL faces when being built in a preinstalled environment: it
can not even link against GMP without known the compiler / linker flags to
do so.