[Ecls-list] Help needed, really

David Brown lisp at davidb.org
Sat Jan 1 21:51:57 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 01 2011, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

> On POSIX systems, ECL can just issue `file
> test-program-linked-against-required-c-lib' and use the output to
> determine the binary flavour.  On non-posix systems (not many, among
> the platforms where this actually matters.), it can have its own
> custom program to look at the header of the test program.  Certainly
> using Autoconf's triplet in an improved way may remove the need to
> have to write custom header reading program.

I might be missing something, but why is this something at ECL needs to
do, or even should be doing?  If you need to know the format of the
executables, why not issue these tests as part of the build system?  I
don't see why some knowledge needed by one specific application should
be included in ECL itself.

David