[Ecls-list] Help needed, really

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 1 12:27:10 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 9:14 PM, DS <ecl at sol42.com> wrote:

> Why not check what information is put in *features* by other
> implementations?  If OpenAxiom runs on them, then that should be enough.
>
> Keywords like :X86 and :X86-64 seem common, and this should be easy to
> figure out when building ECL.  :ILP32 or :LP64 might be even more
> informative than that.  Since ECL depends on a C compiler, maybe an
> additional :GCC or :SUNCC or whatever keyword identifying the compiler
> would be useful too.

The question is the following: I do not want to be bothered with collecting
information about processors. I already mentioned the problem with exporting
Autoconf's detection of processor, which on some platforms is flawed
(intentionally, btw). What you are asking me is to beging collecting a list
of platforms that ECL runs on and determine processor types, platform names
and the like. That means *I* would have to centrally register and handle
that information.

This is ok for other lisps,because the maintainers keep a limited number of
platforms and chipsets as they have to code assemblers for them. For ECL,
doing that would mean going back to the GCL days in which configurations
were registered, hardcoded and named. For me this is a step backwards.

Now, you may beging to argue that in neglecting this task I am not doing my
work as a maintainer of a compiler.