[Ecls-list] Recent bug with getenv

Didier Verna didier at lrde.epita.fr
Wed Feb 9 08:29:50 UTC 2011

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:

> It depends on whether you call it a bug or a feature. Most POSIX
> functions only accept base-strings. READ-LINE may return an ordinary
> Unicode string, which is not compatible with the POSIX calls.

  Oh, I hadn't realized that.

> Nothing has changed in ECL, it is just that Unicode builds are now the
> default and it triggered this unexpected condition. I just changed
> GETENV to coerce its input to the appropriate type.

  But shouldn't I be the one to do that in my own application instead? I
mean, I *know* that my strings really are base strings, but ECL doesn't.

Does it really make sense to coerce, say, "私", to a base string?

--
Resistance is futile. You will be jazzimilated.

Scientific site:   http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier
Music (Jazz) site: http://www.didierverna.com