[Ecls-list] ECL's license and commercial IPhone apps

Matthew Mondor mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net
Tue Feb 1 00:41:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 20:24:28 +0100
Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:

> The discussion is about GPL and then the author jumps off the wagon and says
> it applies also to LGPL "because it is basically the same". This is not
> true. LGPL does not force anyone to provide the sources of the files they
> link against the library. GPL does.

I also wouldn't have considered ECL for any serious project if it was
under the GPL; Although I tend to prefer working with MIT/BSD style
licensed code (I also release my own code under BSD-style licenses),
the LGPL is fortunately sane enough, indeed.

Toolchains under the GPL are problematic and need additional exception
clauses, like GCC provides for GCC library code, autoconf for the
configure script it produces, etc.

As for the ECL dependencies, fortunately libgmp is also under the LGPL,
boehm-gc and libffi under MIT/BSD-style licenses.  For those using a
GNU OS, glibc is also LGPL licensed.

So I agree that there should be no problem other than perhaps due to
the ignorance of some distribution services.
--
Matt