[Ecls-list] Benchmarking (and versioning)

Dima Pasechnik dimpase+ecl at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 10:38:12 UTC 2011

On 6 December 2011 18:26, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <
juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Dima Pasechnik <dimpase+ecl at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Sage has a buildbot. So the question is to put the tests you need in the
>> Sage's ECL spkg, and extract the results of the
>> buildbot. This will give you results of tests of ECL released with Sage,
>> on the corresponding list of platforms.
>>

> That would only test ECL in Sage, not ECL in all the platforms with the
> particular tests we use (quicklisp, for instance, etc), am I wrong?

in principle, anything you can do at ECL prompt is possible, e.g. as
follows:

sage: lisp_console()
ECL (Embeddable Common-Lisp) 11.1.1
Copyright (C) 1984 Taiichi Yuasa and Masami Hagiya
Copyright (C) 1993 Giuseppe Attardi
Copyright (C) 2000 Juan J. Garcia-Ripoll
ECL is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see file 'Copyright' for details.
Type :h for Help.
Top level.

> (+ 2 2)  ;; I typed this :)

4

Certainly, care needs to be taken not to have overtly long tests, etc etc.

>>  By the way, could you point us the changes you made to ECL to prevent it
>> from suffering the constant fork() failures?
>>

> I am afraid I did not explain myself very well in the last emails: ECL
> does not fix fork() it simply avoids using it in cygwin. This means we have
> to use system(), which is only useful in some contexts and may even cause
> some problems with argument parsing.

yes, I understand this. That's exactly what seems to be needed to be done
by Cython on Cygwin.

Dima