[Ecls-list] Benchmarking (and versioning)

Dima Pasechnik dimpase+ecl at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 09:16:29 UTC 2011

On 6 December 2011 17:02, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <
juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 1:44 AM, Matthew Mondor <mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net>wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 00:27:26 +0100
>> The few tests to look closer at seem to be: BIGNUM/PARI-200-5,
>> MANDELBROT/DFLOAT, FACTORIAL, FFT, WALK-LIST/SEQ, SUM-PERMUTATIONS.
>>  I can also see a very slight preformance regression shown by the PI-*
>> benchmarks, nothing major
>>

> There was a problem with gnuplot. I was printing floating point numbers
> with the wrong exponent character and the plots got messed up. Now they
> should be ok: FFT is one of the benchmarks that improved most!
>

>> Is there an easy way for users to reproduce these benchmarks and
>> generate plots?  I remember that when trying some benchmark suite I had
>> some trouble to set it up, but it was a while ago.  It'd be nice to
>> have a comparision between official release versions too once the next
>> release it out.
>>

> It is a collection of hacks, plus fixes of Eric's benchmarks, so that they
> also run on ECL, catch errors, etc. I uploaded a tarball with the current
> version of those files here
>    http://ecls.sourceforge.net/ecl-bench.zip
>
> This reminds me that the releases are rare, and that the CVS/GIT
>> snapshots continue to pretend to be the same version over long periods
>> of time, which is confusing when users submit bug reports
>

> This only partially true. Right now ECL uses also the VCS (git) commit id
> to identify itself. This distinguishes the different versions and allows me
> to better find out what changes the user has.
>
> OTOH, the release engineering problem continues to be that: a problem. The
> only reasons why there are no releases is because testing on all platforms
> takes time and the current infraestructure I have does not work well
> enough. See for instance how many of the platforms here have outdated
> tests: http://ecls.sourceforge.net/logs.html

Sage (www.sagemath.org) project perhaps might help with testing
infrastructure.
(I"m not speaking for Sage here, although I think this will be welcome).
ECL is released as a part of Sage, and this happens on a regular basis (not
on all platforms ECL supports though, but at least on a handful on
different Linuxes and MacOSXs).
Juanjo, if you are interested in this, just post on sage-devel.

Best,
Dmitrii