[Ecls-list] Character encoding/decoding utilities

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 26 09:00:12 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Matthew Mondor
<mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net>wrote:

> Although there are existing third-party libraries for character
> encoding conversions (including one personal implementation), since ECL
> has everything needed for UTF-8 encoding/decoding I think that it'd be
> nice if it could out-of-the-box permit conversion between bytes and
> strings with the wanted external-format.

I have long wanted to implement sequence-input/output-streams, which would
be the generalization of string-input/output-streams to sequences. The idea
would be to look at the latter and see how much of it can be refactored.
That would be more or less what you need, am I wrong?

I have one caveat, though, I would not implement string streams using those
sequence streams -- the external format of those string streams is fixed by
the ECL's interpretation of the strings and should never be changed.

Cheers,