[Ecls-list] Special symbols that might benefit from implicit locking or thread-local bindings

Matthew Mondor mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net
Mon Aug 1 09:43:21 UTC 2011

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 05:35:53 -0400
Matthew Mondor <mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net> wrote:

> Other than *PACKAGE*, I suppose that a number of parameters might also
> merit a local binding, such as those used by the printer?  There
> remains the problem of deciding what to leave global and what to
> rebind :)

As soon as I saw my message arrive on the list, I wasn't sure anymore
about printer variables.  Afterall, it's common practice to rebind them
using LET and this already creates a local binding...

So I guess the symbols to rebind would be only the ones which are
likely to be SETQ/SETF via common standard functions rather than via
LET, such as indeed *PACKAGE* (WITH-PACKAGE would not have needed such,
but IN-PACKAGE does)...
--
Matt