[Ecls-list] ecl on Android

Sylvain Ageneau ageneau at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 15:58:32 UTC 2011

Hello,

I did some work on this and I think it's now at a point where it's
reasonably complete.
You can find my patches at: https://github.com/ageneau/ecl-android

The changes to ECL are quite minimal, mostly a matter of adding some
missing headers from the android source tree and using a recent version
of the boehm garbage collector (and a lot of trial and error :) ).

I'm now working on adding some bindings to the java API. I'm not sure
what's the best way to go about this (advice/help welcome). There are
several projects that seem like they could be of help here:
* Scripting Layer for Android:
http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/ --> It looks like the easy
way, in this case ECL runs in its own process and communicates via json
to a "scripting engine" server that wraps a significant subset of the
android APIs. The nice thing about this is if your goal is just to do
some quick prototyping you don't even need a cross-compiled ECL, you can
just connect from your host ECL to the service running on the phone.
* CL+J: http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-plus-j/
* JaCoLiB (JAva COmmon LIsp Bridge) http://code.google.com/p/jacolib/
--> this one depends on dffi which could be a problem

My goal with all this is to create a cross-platform mobile development
environment that supports Android and iPhone (which also can run ECL
thanks to the work of Ram Krishnan). ECL seems like the perfect choice
for this.

Regards,
Sylvain