[Ecls-list] Need help compiling ECL 10.4.1 (32-bit) on Win7 64-bit via mingw32/msys

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 29 20:20:36 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 9:40 PM, Marko Kocić <marko.kocic at gmail.com> wrote:

> I compiled both gmp and gc with -m32, set CFLAGS for ECL to use -m32,
> Compilation went fine until the moment ./ecl_min is invoked. I suppose
> the problem is that ./ecl_min uses gcc to compile lisp stuff, but
> doesn't set -m32 flag, and gcc asumes -m64 (or something like that, I
> don't have access to that box right now)

ECL respects whatever value you supply to CFLAGS or at least they should. It
is not good to hardcode special flags in ECL. If something is needed for
your system, for instance in this case it seems that -m32 is needed, then
adding it at the end of the call to configure as in

./configure --enable-unicode CFLAGS="-m32"

should do it. If this does not work and ECL "forgets" those flags, then it
is a bug that needs to be fixed.

Regarding more generally Win64 support, I have built ECL with Windos64
support using Microsoft's compilers. Indeed this is the regular build in
ECL's test farm whenever it is not off the grid (ecls.sf.net/logs.html). I
was never able to install mingw64 on that box (Windows Server 2008) so I
really do not know whether the compiler builds 64 bits executables or not.

In any case, it is been one month since I looked at the Windows port and as
I said our test