[Ecls-list] Big patch

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 17 13:22:04 UTC 2010

I already commented here the problem with POSIX locales and ECL's routine
for reading and printing numbers.

Well, the fact is that I had to go through a huge set of changes to add ECL
some standalone routines for those tasks. These routines are hand-written C
equivalents of SBCL's FLONUM-TO-STRING and are now reused in various parts
of ECL, including the core routines for printing and FORMAT.

- They have undergone some testing, but there may be some things left to
polish.

- Printing of NANs and infinities now uses two functions,
EXT:FLOAT-NAN-STRING and EXT:FLOAT-INFINITE-STRING, which take the number
and return a string. Those who wanted to customize printing of these numbers
have to redefine them.

- Printing of integers now also relies on a separate function
SI:INTEGER-TO-STRING

Overall performance seems to be similar. I am pretty sure that the SBCL's
routines that I based this code on are not optimal, relying a lot on bignum
operations.

I apologize in advance for any inconvenience. This is a big change that was
pending for a long time and now that I found a free time slot I dedided to
work on it. Help is welcome if someone wants to polish it.