[Ecls-list] thread-specific data

Andy Hefner ahefner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 18:45:36 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll
<juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Special variable bindings are thread local. Am I wrong?

The ability to guarantee that a given special has a unique binding in
each thread is useful for library code that can't control how the
thread is created or the dynamic scope it is invoked in. I'm not aware
whether any CLs provide such a feature. Unfortunately the only use
case I can think of right now is cached or lazily initialized
structures which can be reused between calls into the library, but
can't be safely shared between threads, as a lightweight alternative
to a thread-safe defresource-style system.