[Ecls-list] Improving CLOS?

Matthew Mondor mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net
Thu Mar 18 22:06:21 UTC 2010

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:22:16 +0100
Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:

> http://arxiv.org/abs/1003.2547
>
> These guys implemented a variant of CLOS using C and got comparable speeds
> to C++ and Objective C, and orders of magnitude faster dispatch in many
> cases. It might be a nice source of inspiration to improve ECL's dispatch
> mechanism... or maybe not, if the MOP is the source of all performance
> penalties.

I find this really interesting.  I've been limiting my use of CLOS
where performance matters, but CL makes this rather easy as it's so
multi-paradigm.  I saw how CLOS is great in some situations however,
i.e. having used it in a GUI or with gray streams.

I'm however still relatively new at CL and have only read a bit about
MOP (too few to fully understand its implications, I've not finished
AMOP).  This surprised me, but one of the points which the MOP
introduction stressed was how it was possible to have MOP even enhance
the performance of a system, but I assume that it was in comparison to
some heavy and slow object-oriented implementations of the time?
--
Matt