[Ecls-list] ecl-10.3.1 breaks maxima

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 13 22:24:28 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Andrey G. Grozin <A.G.Grozin at inp.nsk.su>wrote:

> After upgrading ecl to 10.3.1 and re-compiling maxima with it, maxima
> cannot load any of its packages. This is a show-stopper. Compare with some
> other lisp (sbcl, for example):

No need to compare. You just report the problem, we take notice. Thanks
indeed for reporting.

maxima used to work normally with earlier versions of ecl, including
> 10.2.1. There were only 2 failures in the testsuite (by the way, why? with
> sbcl, cmucl, clozurecl there are 0 testsuite failures)

This is probably not the right forum for that question. I do not know enough
of maxima to identify why all tests fail -- note that in the past some of
those failed because of bogus assumptions about things like how fractions
should be rounded. We have accomodated to those expectations but this
requires that someone more knowledgeable identifies what is causing those
tests to fail in Maxima.

> . Now, of course, a
> huge number of tests fail. What has happened between 10.2.1 and 10.3.1
> which breaks load in maxima?

We had to reimplement several functions dealing with directory traversal,
probing files, etc. This was a major redesign and as it turns out there was
a corner case broken, namely (directory "/foo/**/") only returned /foo/ This
has been fixed in git/CVS and now maxima loads its extensions properly. We
will produce a patch release any time soon.