[Ecls-list] [Announcement] ecl-readline V0.4.0

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Tue Mar 9 08:35:38 UTC 2010

Jason Aquilina <jfa7600 at yahoo.com.au> writes:

> On 09/03/10 01:47, Tobias C. Rittweiler wrote
>> Do I need the -dev packages, too?
>>
> Given that you have managed to generate the *.fas files you must already
> have a readline dev package installed, otherwise the compilation would
> have failed as it wouldn't have found the readline/readline.h include
> files. I'm guessing that the version of readline that's being picked up
> doesn't have rl_free - it's not a problem as rl_free is a readline
> convenience function that calls free() anyway.
>
> I've put up a new version, v0.4.1, on http://www.cliki.net/ecl-readline
> that uses free() instead of rl_free(). Would you give that a try and let
> me know how you get on.
>
> Jason.

Works now!

ecl-readline binds *standard-input* to a two-way-stream like:

  CL-USER[5]> *standard-input*
  #<two-way stream 09963780>

  CL-USER[6]> (two-way-stream-input-stream *)
  #<a INPUT-STREAM>

What exactly is that INPUT-STREAM? Seems totally opaque. It's probably
some kind of wrapper around an fd-stream on stdin.

For making ecl-readline work in combination with Slime -- so people can
safely enable ecl-readline in their .eclrc -- we somehow have to get at
the very underlaying stdin fd, so we can use select() on that.

  -T.