[Ecls-list] [Announcement] ecl-readline V0.4.0

Matthew Mondor mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net
Mon Mar 8 01:57:49 UTC 2010

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 10:42:20 +1000
Jason Aquilina <jfa7600 at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> ECL-READLINE Version 0.4.0 is now available for download. It provides readline support at both the top and break levels.

Thanks for working on this.  I've been wondering though, is it license
restriction (readline being GPL rather than LGPL) which prevents
including it as part of official optional ECL contribs?  I know that
this caused issues for other projects (at least BSD licensed ones).

If that is the case, libedit is a BSD-licensed alternative which might
also be worth looking into for the future, if this kind of functionality
is wanted officially.  If I remember, it was also designed to have an
API similar to readline's.
(link: http://www.thrysoee.dk/editline/)

As for enabling or disabling the functionality, I guess that isatty(3)
or equivalent could be used to detect when to disable it for
non-interactive use of stdin...

If the issue is a maintenance one more than license one, then I
understand and appreciate the value of third party ECL contribs, too. :)
--
Matt