[Ecls-list] Was --enable-gengc ever the default?

Andy Hefner ahefner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 16:42:20 UTC 2010

This is something of a stupid question, but I'm failing to produce an
answer myself through googling and searching the Git log. Has
--enable-gengc ever been the default? If so, when and why was it
disabled?

I'm investigating the possibility that GC pauses are now noticable in
my app where they weren't previously (not necessarily true - it's
possible I just didn't notice them before), and curious if it turns
out I was using the gengc when I settled on the impression several
months ago that GC delays weren't perceptible. On the other hand, a
lot of variables have changed (ECL has progressed considerably, and
I'm currently building ECL with different options and a new version of
the GC). Lots of possibilities to explore, if this becomes a real
problem.

While I'm bothering the list, why is "Function [foo] is global but is
closed over some variables." worth issuing a note about? I find this
annoying, and will shortly hack it out of my local copy.