[Ecls-list] OpenSolaris issue : Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Fri Jun 18 17:58:28 UTC 2010

On 06/18/10 01:41 PM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
> Use of the dynamic foreign function interface is discouraged unless you have
> libffi around. Use --without-dffi or install the previously mentioned
> library in a place where ECL's configuration program can find it.
>
> I am not going to fix that assembler code or make it support other compilers
> because libffi is a perfectly fine and well supported tool, while our code
> is more like a hack.
>
> Juanjo

Is this dynamic foreign function interface needed for Maxima? Would you advise
us to disable this on all platforms, or just OpenSolaris, given we do not have
libffi in Sage?

Obviously, I could disable this on just OpenSolaris, but that seems a bit silly
if you would generally discourage it.

If you would advise disabling this unless libffi is installed, would it not be
preferable for the default behaviour of whether to install the dffi depends on
whether the relevant library is installed? In other words, would it not be
preferable for the configure script to check for this library before enabling
the dynamic foreign function interface?

Dave