[Ecls-list] Object found in array but not used

Matthew Mondor mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net
Tue Jun 15 22:11:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 23:01:08 +0200
Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 2:16 AM, Matthew Mondor <mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net>wrote:
>
> > I also fail to understand the meaning of this new warning.
> >

> It is not a warning, but a compiler note I just added to verify that a tree
> shaker is working. This tree shaker eliminates constants from your code when
> they are not used, thus reducing the total size of the compiled code. This
> normally happens when those constants are optimized away, as when you have
> (member a '(one two three)) and ECL turns this into (or (eq a 'one) (eq a
> 'two) (eq c 'three))

It makes sense, thanks :)

It really showed under a Warning: header, though:

;;; End of Pass 1.
;;; Warning:
;;;   ! Object found in array but not used
;;; (foo bar baz quux)
;;; Warning:
;;;   ! Object found in array but not used
;;; (bar baz quux)
;;; Warning:
;;;   ! Object found in array but not used
;;; (baz quux)
;;; Warning:
;;;   ! Object found in array but not used
;;; (quux)

Thinking of this I'm wondering if there's not some kind of debug domain
other than errors, warnings and notes, so that it would be more easy to
ignore debug data for a reader?  I'm not sure if frontends like slime
could still deal with them though (maybe this doesn't matter)...
--
Matt